Few things cause more physical and emotion hurt – and stir more anger – than sexual abuse and rape. These are some of the deepest, darkest places of sin in our world. Victims of it can emerge feeling that love and affection can only be bought or used, that they only have value as an object or thing, that powerlessness is a way of life, and relationships can only bring betrayal.
Sexual abuse, including rape, is the perpetration of any unwanted sexual interaction or contact by a person who, because of age or power, is able to take advantage of another. Thus, sexual abuse can involve adult-adolescent, adult-child, adolescent-child, adolescent-child, adolescent-adolescent, and child-child pairs. Sexual abuse can be perpetrated by either sex against either sex.
- A child is molested every two minutes, according to some estimates.
- More than one out of 3 adult women and one in 6 adult men have been sexually abused before 18 years old.
- Estimated that for every victim known, nine others are hidden.
- Approximately 683,000 women are raped in the US each year.
- As little as 10% of rapes are reported to the police.
- Majority of rapes are perpetrated by people the victim knows beforehand.
- 2 Samuel 13:12-13
- 1 Thessalonians 4:4-6
- Luke 17:2
- Leviticus 18:6
- 1 Corinthians 13:5-7
- Ephesians 5:25-27; 6:4
- 1 Corinthians 5
- 2 Corinthians 5:17