SUICIDE HOTLINE: 1.800.273.TALK
Depression is a mental and emotional disorder that includes sadness, inactivity, difficulty thinking, loss or increase in appetite or sleep, hopelessness, and sometimes suicidal thoughts.
- 18.8 million Americans adults suffer from depression.
- Pre-schoolers are the fastest growing market for anti-depressant drugs.
- 30% of women are depressed. Men around 20%.
- 80% of depressed people not currently being treated.
- 54% of people believe depression is a weakness.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death for young people between the ages of 15-24.
- The fastest growing group completing suicide is children between the ages of 10-14.
- Firearms account for 60% of all suicides. Firearms are used in more suicides than in homicides.
- Each day there are approximately 11.3 youth suicides.
- Every 2 hours and 7 minutes, a person under the age of 25 completes suicide.
SIGNS OF DEPRESSION:
- A sense of not feeling motivated for a number of weeks.
- A lack of interest in things that you are normally interested in.
- A stronger desire (compared to normal) NOT to be around people.
- A sense of feeling down that is beyond what an average person would feel in the same circumstances.
POTENTIAL CAUSES OF DEPRESSION:
- Physical or emotional suffering, especially long term, that lead to lack of hope.
- Unresolved anger.
- Guilt or inability to accept forgiveness.
- Physiological issues.
HELPFUL BOOKS ON DEPRESSION/SUICIDE:
Freedom from Depression Workbook – Les Carter and Harold Minirith
New Light on Depression – David Biebel and Harold Koehig
Unmasking Male Depression – Dr. Archibald Hart
Finding Your Way After the Suicide of Someone You Love – David Biebel and Suzanne Foster
BIBLE VERSES THAT MAY HELP:
- MATTHEW 26:37-38
- ROMANS 15:13
- 1 SAMUEL 16:14-23
- PSALMS 6, 13, 18, 23, 25, 27, 31, 32, 34 37, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 46, 51, 55, 57, 62, 63, 69, 71, 73, 77, 84, 86, 90, 91, 94, 95, 103, 104, 107, 110, 116, 118, 121, 123, 124, 130, 138, 139, 141, 142, 143, 146, 147
- GENESIS 15
- 1 KINGS 19
- PSALM 119:25
- JONAH 4
- 2 CORINTHIANS 4:1-18
- PHILIPPIANS 4:4-8
- 1 PETER 5:7
- JOB 3:3, 11
- JUDGES 16:29-30
- PSALM 73:14
- 1 CHRONICLES 10:4-5
- 2 SAMUEL 17:23
- 1 KINGS 16:18
- MATTHEW 27:45
- 1 SAMUEL 2:6
- JOHN 16:33
- MATTHEW 12:31
PEOPLE FROM THE BIBLE WHO EXPERIENCED LOW POINTS OR DEPRESSION OR SUICIDE:
OTHER PRACTICAL HELPS:
- Establish a daily routine.
- Get out of the house.
- Stay connected with family, friends who will listen and encourage you.
- Write out thoughts for personal journey or to give to loved ones to help them understand your struggle.
- Eat small amounts all throughout the day.
- Make reading God’s Word a consistent habit.
- Play worship music throughout your day.
- Talk/think positively of yourself.
- Develop alertness to certain times that may trigger depression.
- If suicidal, tell someone immediately.
GRACE BAPTIST AND CHAPTER 3 RESOURCES IF YOU’RE BATTLING DEPRESSION:
Counseling Group (for young women) led by Debbie Reed. This group is for women who have struggled with depression/suicide. This group will probably meet on Fridays. For more information about this group you can contact Debbie at 661 287-4243 or email@example.com.
Care Group (at Grace Baptist) for women who struggle with anxiety/depression. This group meets on Wednesday nights (7:00 p.m.) at Grace in room B208.
Talk with someone one-to-one (Spiritual Care). For more information about Spiritual Care go towww.gracebaptist.org/spiritualcare or call 661.296.8737 ext. 150.
National Hotline – 1 800 394-4673